Friday, February 27, 2015

A New PLA Filament from KHSW in Hangzhou China

PLA Tough by KHSW

I just completed testing of a new filament we recently got a sample of. It's called, PLA Tough by KHSW and is purported to be a replacement for ABS. This test is not scientific by any means but I thought I'd post the results of my test prints.

Our BoxBot PLA, on the machine I'm using BoxBot 3Dp150, usually prints at 210-215C and a flow rate of 100, using Cura 15.01.

My normal procedure for printing is via SD Card. I generate the G code using Cura or Slic3r. I tend to like the results I get from Slic3r over Cura but I've been using the latest Beta of Slic3r and all of a sudden it's not completing the gcode output so I went to Cura for the test.

First Attempt
My first attempt was at my normal settings which are pretty much Cura's default settings.

Layer Thickness: .12
Shell Thickness: .8
Print Temp: 210
Print Speed: 50
Flow Rate: 100

The results were non-existent because hardly any plastic was exiting the nozzle. So I adjusted my settings.

Second Attempt
I contacted KHSW and they suggested a higher temperature so I upped the temp to 220. Better but not good. My flow rate was reduced to 95.



Third Attempt
I upped the temperature to 230 and was getting better results but too the plastic was acting like it was not hot enough and there was too much of it. My flow rate was reduced to 90.



Fourth Attempt
The fourth and final attempt was much better. Temperature was 240 and the flow rate 80. I got a final print without having cancel mid-job. I think there are still some minor fine tuning I can do.



Overall Impressions
My impressions are that this is NOT a replacement for ABS. It's extremely brittle. I'm not sure what they have added to the PLA to make it so-called tough because it seems less tough than normal PLA. I have to be careful with fine details to not break the part. 

If the testing had worked out I think we would be carrying their PLA Tough but it just does not stand up to it's billing as an ABS replacement filament. The one thing it does have in common with ABS is the printing temperature.




No comments:

Post a Comment